Are you living with jaw pain in Farmington MI? If so, you want to know how you can find relief for your aching TMJ. The team at Monet Aesthetic Dentistry has encouraging news for you: Dr. Leslie M. Metzger provides TMJ treatment. Stop the painful side effects of TMJ — like chronic headaches, facial, shoulder, and ear pain — and treat your jaw disorder before it worsens.
How We Diagnose TMJ Disorder
A disordered TMJ is called TMD, or temporomandibular dysfunction, but many people simply refer to the condition as TMJ. TMJ/TMD pain must be treated to prevent chronic pain and further injury to the jaw.
To diagnose your TMJ/TMD, Dr. Metzger will ask you a series of questions regarding your jaw pain symptoms. When is pain most likely to occur? Where is the discomfort it located? Then, she will evaluate the condition of your jaw and oral structures. If she determines that TMJ disorder is the source of your discomfort, that is actually good news. It means relief is in sight at long last.
How Is Jaw Pain Treated?
Sometimes, jaw pain is temporary and can be reduced naturally. Let’s take a look at how you can find relief from your TMJ discomfort on your own, before professional treatment is sought.
- Applying moist heat to an aching jaw or before going to bed to relax the TMJ and improve function.
- Use an ice pack to reduce swelling and speed healing of an injured jaw.
- Take smaller bites when eating, and try sticking to a soft or blended-foods diet during periods of jaw pain.
- Short-term use of over-the-counter pain medications can help reduce pain until jaw heals
- Meditation, yoga, and guided imagery techniques may reduce the stress that causes TMJ pain.
- Avoid chewing gum, which places unnecessary stress on the jaw muscle.
If you’ve tried these at-home solutions for TMJ disorder but still haven’t found adequate healing from your painful jaw, you likely need professional help. Many patients find relief from TMJ misalignment using a custom-fit orthotic. It’s a temporary device that can realign the jaw, gradually bringing it into its proper position. Throughout your treatment with an oral orthotic, your dentist will monitor your progress to make sure you’re on track to find relief from your aching jaw.
Schedule Your Appointment for TMJ Therapy!
If you are dealing with pain originating in the TMJ in Farmington MI, don’t wait to seek treatment. Dr. Metzger can help you find relief with jaw therapy at Monet Aesthetic Dentistry. Request your appointment online right now!